Friday, September 11, 2009

Taxis vs. public transportation vs. jet packs


I was looking at my bank statement today and noticed that the word "TAXI" appeared like 312 times. Not really, but geez Louise I take a lot of cabs. OR I DID.

My excuses?
  • "It's too late to take the train"
  • "It's raining"
  • "It's too hot"
  • "I have on heels"
No more excuses, chief!

I am now going to make a valiant effort to either take the subway or bus or just walk my chubby ass home. I wanted more exercise, right? The whole city is what? Thirteen miles long? Washington Heights to Williamsburg, I should be walking with my income. I fortunately live, work and play downtown, so I walk. And when I do take cabs they rarely run over 10 bones. But still! It adds up.

One trick that has helped me through the years when I'm debating between the cost of anything is what I like to call, "Manhattan Math." Three cab rides is one week's worth of groceries. Or three loads of laundry. Or three drinks at the bar. The last one is dear to my heart.

It's really not worth it unless you're sharing a cab with friends. So I'm saving my cash and paying $2.25/per ride on the subway (I don't get a monthly card since my commute is pedi one, so I buy a few rides at a time). Plus that $2.25 gets you to your destination AND offers panhandler entertainment and Missed Connection sideways glances! Can't get that added value in a taxi.

And yes, jet packs will soon be an option. The future is near! You can count on it!


FIN

No comments:

Post a Comment