Monday, August 31, 2009

day 1 (for reals).

Alas, I did not win the Mega Millions, so I couldn't pay off all my debt in an instant or buy a one-way ticket to Cadiz as anticipated. C'est la vie, mon amies.

But (and please forgive the cheesiness) I won in other areas.

I've been volunteering with StreetWise Partners for quite some time now and this past Saturday not only solidified why I started volunteering in the first place, but made me remember (cue aforementioned cheese) that though I owe a shit ton to Visa and my student loan creditor, I am also indebted to my community. Public service is so important. Seeing people grow and actualize their dreams is exciting. Makes you realize how fortunate you are to have had people push you and guide you all these years. It also motivates me to get my act together. Plus it's fun! I've met cool (and cute) people. I constantly have a warm and fuzzy feeling in my upper abdomen area.

I can't give a lot financially speaking, but I can give time, support and guidance to people who need it. Money isn't everything. But one day when I'm rolling in it I plan to give even more. Where do you volunteer? Do you feel the same way? Oprah, the light and the life inside me, once said, "Ladyfriends, serve your community and they will in turn serve you!" I would have rephrased it so it wouldn't sound so pervy, but I think I get the gist of it. Karma?

Meanwhile, what will I do with my free time outside of volunteering? A part-time job. BLERGH. Thoughts?

--

FYI: StreetWise is a non-profit social enterprise that provides low-income adults with career mentoring and access to employment networks so they are able to secure sustainable jobs and achieve lifelong employability. It's awesome. Believe the hype. Join up.



No comments:

Post a Comment